Attempting to connect to the Web Admin results in a long pause which eventually produces an error message: Server error in `/` application or Server error in 'localhost' application or redirects you to a "search" page.
If the Web Admin isn't accessible, that usually means you are unable to connect to the local web server. Possible reasons that you are not able to connect to it is due to a monitoring program that is blocking your access like an antivirus, a spyware remover and/or a firewall program, .Net Framework corruption, and/or a possible issue with the Operating System.
First, please run a spyware detection and removal on the PC. Two of the most popular spyware detection / removal softwares are free to individual users: Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy Be sure to update the software's definitions before scanning.
In the case of a non-spyware proxy, disable proxies for local addresses. In Internet Explorer, go to TOOLS - INTERNET OPTIONS - CONNECTIONS (tab) - LAN SETTINGS (button). Check the box marked "bypass proxy server for local addresses" if available.
In the case of a popup blocker of the sort that does not register itself as a proxy in Internet Explorer, be sure to add the address of the Beyond TV Web Admin (by default "http://localhost:8129") to the popup blocker's "accepted" or "trusted" sites list.
NOTE: ZoneAlarm, for one, refers to this as "loopback." You may have to add either "loopback" or the IP "127.0.0.1" to your "trusted" list in ZoneAlarm or other softwares that meddle with the manner by which applications access the Internet.
If none of this helps, check your machine for other Web services (particularly IIS) which will use port 80. If you have another software on your machine using port 80, you will need to disable it temporarily, in order to access the Web Admin interface and disable the "port forwarder" option. (Beyond TV WEB ADMIN - CONFIGURE - ADVANCED SETTINGS - WEB SERVER SETTINGS - Port Forwarder)
This problem can occur if a user installs Beyond TV as a user without full Administrator privileges, as certain registry modifications necessary to make the Web Admin functional cannot be made without Administrator access. To get around this problem, uninstall Beyond TV, and login as the machine's Administrator account to perform the reinstallation.
Another possible reason for this error is due to either the installation of a beta version of the .NET framework, or corruption of the .NET Framework itself. To solve this problem:
- Exit Beyond TV.
- Next, remove the .NET framework by using CONTROL PANEL --> ADD / REMOVE PROGRAMS. The entry will be listed as the "Microsoft .NET Framework..." Remove any versions installed.
- Download and run the .NET uninstaller from Microsoft.
- Download and reinstall the latest version of the .NET Framework from this web page:
Beyond TV 4.9 users, if you are unable to uninstall and reinstall .Net Framework 3.x, please take a look at this knowledgebase article also.
- Finally, restart Beyond TV. The Web Admin should now connect normally. If this does not work, please run through the Setup Wizard, start Beyond TV, and try connecting to the Web Admin again.
If that does not work, please ensure that you are signed on as the Administrator or a user with Administrator rights, and take the following steps:
- Start the Registry editor (START BUTTON --> RUN --> REGEDIT).
- Press CTRL-F or select "Find" from the "Edit" menu
- Type "Disable Performance Counters" (without quotation marks) and hit ENTER.
- If the search function finds this text, double-click on the words "Disable Performance Counters" in the rightmost window pane.
- Find the section labeled "Value data" in the dialog that pops up.
- Set the "Value data" item to 0 (zero) and hit "OK."
- Close the registry editor and reboot the machine. Start Beyond TV, and attempt again to connect to the Web Admin.
If that does not work:
- Download one of the attached .ZIP files appropriate for your operating system and Service Pack level. XPPROSP2 is for Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2, and XPPROSP1 is for Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1.
- Unzip this file to a temporary directory, and open that directory in Windows Explorer.
- Right-click on the XPPROSP2.REG or XPPROSP1.REG file you downloaded, and select "merge."
- When the process is finished, reboot the machine, start Beyond TV, and attempt connecting to the Web Admin again.
(To determine which operating system and service pack level you are using, create a dxdiag.txt file as instructed in this Knowledge Base article, open the file in Notepad, and read the "Operating System" line near the top.)